Sunday, January 27, 2019

A Plane! A Plane!

I started making a frame for the mold to build the ribs on. It seems that most guitars are built on an outside mold. Mine's going to be built on an inside mold. Why? Because I'm doing the Grandfather Guadagnini guitar. Guadagnini used an inside mold. Besides that, I don't have enough material to build an outside mold! The mold will be double layered, and will be collapsable. That way I can glue the linings on, and even the back if I want, and the form will slide right out.


 But first, I have some progress on the belly. I built a convex scrub plane to rough it out. It is built out of cherry wood, and has a Lie Nielson Scrub plane blade as its main feature. The thing is awesome.

     




 The sole is convex in both directions, and matches the inside arch nicely. It is Surinam Ironwood, so it should hold up.

 I went a little deeper than I was planning on going. I should have adjusted the blade to take a little less bite. It cut really well, but the flame caught me one time off guard, and it took a little over a mm to straighten everything out.

 I used the smaller Lie Nielsen convex plane to do the light cuts, and finished up with my trusty curved scraper made from an old Craftsman plane blade. The steel on that one is quite good. Right now, the diagonal arches are right on, and the horizontal arches are as well; all the way until the center area. There I have arches perpendicular to the diagonal arches, that blend in from the neck block and into the horizontal cross arches. The cutaway side rises very quickly, the other side at the top, not as much. Now I'll have to rough in the outside some, and then I'll rough cut the outline.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Body Glued Up

The body is glued up now. I'm something up the ribs and the edges of the belly and the back.  I glued on the neck extension, and tri...