Sunday, March 10, 2019

The Belly Arching


The belly arching is different from the back.  It is started with the same diagonal catenary arches on the inside.  But on the belly both arches are continuous end to end.  Also, where the cross arches on the back left a central thick area, at least through most of the instrument, the belly cross arches go from end to end as well.  The inside long arch comes out to be a catenary as well.

So the belly is basically just straight arches.  This seems like it would be just as grandpa Guadagnini would have done it.

I found a photo of a Guadagnini cello f hole.  Reducing it 92% makes it the size drawn up on the plan.  That will make it more like a Guadagnini, I hope.  I drew them out on the top, and fluted them in some.

Right now the thickness is mostly 6 mm,  with some areas at 5 mm.  I'm thinking it might finish up somewhere around 4 mm to 6 mm.   The point where it switches from convex to concave is closer to the edge than the back, with its cycloid edges.  The arch height, width, and more even thicknesses make it the shape that it is.

Is it just me, or does the 92% one look fatter too?  Maybe it is because I had it done in black and white, and not color?  The photo is mostly grey, and the scan doesn't work as well on great in black and white.










No comments:

Post a Comment

The Body Glued Up

The body is glued up now. I'm something up the ribs and the edges of the belly and the back.  I glued on the neck extension, and tri...